Leda is the latest entry in our quarterly rollup series. It branches off from our main rolling Voyager development into a fixed target for our partners to qualify and build upon.
Like Comet's previous recent quarterly software releases, "Leda" is named after a moon of Jupiter. Jupiter has a great number of moons and more are continuing to be discovered. When Leda was discovered as recently as 1974, it was one of Jupiter's 13 known moons. Today, Jupiter has 92 known moons, with the most recent discovered just this month (February 2023)!
The moon is named after the ancient Greek mythological figure from the "Leda and the Swan" story. She was the mother of Helen of Troy, a key figure in the Iliad and the Odyssey.
Coincidentally, there is also an asteroid named 38 Leda in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter. Comet used several codenames from this asteroid belt, but non-exhaustively, and we moved on to the Jupiter codename before reaching the 38 Leda asteroid codename.
As for the software, Comet 23.2.0 "Leda" brings 7 features and 12 enhancements, including granular single file restore for Hyper-V; bulk admin email reports; a Recent Activity email report type; quotas for Office 365 Protected Accounts; new Polish language support; remote browse for database Protected Item types; and more.
As always for a new quarterly release, there are two changelogs for 23.2.0 "Leda" depending on whether you are coming from the previous quarterly release or the previous Voyager release:
Changes compared to 22.11.3
- Add support to browse and restore files/folders in Hyper-V snapshot
- Add admin-level email reporting options, allowing administrators to receive reports on the jobs of their users
- Add two new email report templates: Recent Activity Report and Group Status Report
- Allow setting quotas for Office 365 Protected Accounts
- Add new Polski (Polish) translation for Comet Server and for the Comet Backup desktop client
- Allow deletion of custom snapshot selection from the client
- Add new API to count total number of jobs for a given search query
- Add ability to browse a list of databases to backup from the web interface when editing MySQL, MSSQL, or MongoDB Protected Items
- Add a legend to the Recent Activity email report
- Add a toggle for Gradient integrations to enable/disable sending alerts
- Add guidelines for time boundaries when configuring an email report in the Comet Server web interface
- Add validation to the Protected Item dialog in the Comet Backup desktop app, to stop empty Protected Items from being created
- If there is no Protected Item when opening the Comet Backup desktop app, automatically open up the new Protected Item dialog
- Use an internal MongoDB connection library instead of requiring Mongo Shell installation
- Reduce peak memory requirements for rewriting index files during Retention passes
- Minor performance improvement for searching job history
- Improve performance for servers with a very large number of Tenants
- Improve support for using Apple devices as WebAuthn authenticators for Comet Server admin multi-factor authentication
- Translation updates for all languages
Changes compared to 22.12.8
- Fix an issue with Comet server crashing when adding a new user using API
- Fix an issue with a new user made via API set-user-profile does not update the user-organization map
- Fix a cosmetic issue with unclear error text when a tenant does not exist on a Replica Auth Role server
- Fix a cosmetic issue with character escaping in the Regular Expression example text
- Fix a cosmetic issue with exposing global self-backup and email status to tenant administrators